DIY Painted Nighstand Tutorial

This is a DIY project I took on back in June of 2014. (I'm a little behind on my blogging as I am still doing overtime at my main job.) I had a table that my grandfather made that doubles as a bookcase on the bottom portions. I use it as my nightstand. My bedroom is pretty crowded, so it doubles as vintage jewelry box holder, etc. It's a very cute design, but he made it out of pine, which is a wood that is not a favorite of mine. (I prefer dark woods, like cherry, mahogany, etc.) I decided I would paint it to match my bedroom, and it might be a good project for you as well.

Materials needed:
Wooden table (can use one you already have, or one from a thrift store, garage sale, or antique shop)
Two shades of chalk paint, one dark and one lighter to use as an accent color (I used Chick Paint from Nook & Cranny, and Mother Earth Paint from Studio 1404 in the West Bottoms of Kansas City, MO)
Plastic bags or garbage bags for your floor
A small paint brush for the accent color, and a larger paint brush for the main color

Here is the before photo:
Overall, a cute piece and well-made, as my grandfather was a very talented woodworker, but not my top choice for color. I visited local Kansas City shops to obtain some paint for this piece. As you may know, I suggest local shops over big box stores whenever possible. Both of these stores are located in the Historic West Bottoms of Kansas City. I chose Studio 1404 to purchase Mother Earth Paints in Wisteria, which is a lilac color, which I used as an accent color, and Nook & Cranny for Chick Paint in Purple Haze, which is a darker mauve purple for the main parts of this piece. I enjoyed using both paints, however, Mother Earth Paint has a better paint quality and applies much smoother than Chick Paint, but I couldn't find a darker purple that I needed in Mother Earth Paints' line. Chick Paint seemed runny and much harder to apply. Mother Earth Paint even smelled good, which is the first time I've ever encountered a paint like that. Of course, everyone has different tastes, so I can only speak for my own opinion. Here are some photos of my progress:
I used Chick Paint's Purple Haze as the main color, and Mother Earth Paints' Wisteria as the accent and edge color on this piece. If you use different colors than I did, I suggest using a darker, more neutral color for the main portion of your table, and a lighter, brighter color for the the accents and edges. You can find a nice table at a thrift store or at a garage sale, or even while antique shopping. I put trash bags down on the floor to make sure there were no messes, and I used a smaller sized brush for my accent color, and a larger regular paintbrush for my main color. I was careful to apply paint to the edges after painting the main color all over the piece, and I did not use any taping, etc. as I am well=trained as an artist and I don't really need taping to help with my edges. If you're new to painting, I would suggest using some blue painter's tape for the edging to make sure that you do not end up with blotchy or runny edges onto the other main areas of paint. Here are the end results in my bedroom:
Overall, I think this provided a nice hint of color that added a lot of fun to my bedroom, and I'm very happy with the results!

0 comments:

Post a Comment