Soldered Glass Pendants!



So, I finally finished some soldered glass pendants that my friend Lindsey gave to me! She gave me an entire kit for soldering. Honestly it took me awhile to get used to it, but five hours went by very quickly.

Basically, when soldering you take two pieces of glass, and put your two images between the glass. You then line the edges of the glass with copper tape. You heat up your soldering iron, put on your eye protection and get out your flux, which allows your solder to melt onto your copper tape, and spread it over your copper tape where you want the solder to adhere. The technique is difficult at first, but basically you want to make your solder flow like water down your copper tape. You don't necessarily want to touch the tape, in fact, you want to hover over it. Once you're finished, then you have your glass pendant with silver edges, entirely encased.

You can even add patina to the solder to change colors, like copper or even black.

Here's a picture of some of my finished products:


I'm sure I'll get better as I go along, these are a little rough but I think they work!

0 comments:

Post a Comment